Thursday, March 29, 2012

Does Everything Happen For a Reason?

I often find myself wondering these questions.
"Why did this happen?" "Was it meant to be?" "Is this God's plan or was it unintentional?"

In my wise age of 19 and 1/2, I have come to think this: Not everything happens for a reason. Because, if it DID, would we have free agency to choose our choices? If God had everything planned for a reason, why would we be here?

I have heard the saying that "everything happens for a reason" continually repeated by friends, loved ones, and people I don't even know throughout my life. And today I am thinking otherwise... but here is something else I think.

Everything may not happen for a reason, people make choices that may affect you negatively or positively; you never know what is going to happen. BUT - you CAN choose to make the best out of any situation. You can LET the things that happen to you, happen for a reason. You can look at the experience, and ASK what you can take away from it. You can let it define you, or GROW from it. You can CHOOSE to let something happen to you for a reason, all you have to do is find it.

5 comments:

  1. I half agree with this. I think God does have everything planned and he knows what we are going to do but that doesn't mean it happened cause he wanted it too. I think he knows what we are gonna do but it is still our choice what we do if that makes any sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Marissa! I think everyone has this same question and it probably changes based on the phase of life we are in. I think there can always be a reason for everything happening like you said, we can find it. Maybe our life is planned out, but it can change at any time depending on the choice we make. Every moment is new.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it. I never thought of it like that but I do agree with it. I think everything does happen for a reason to allow us to grow and to learn from it and the only way to do that is by asking and relying on God.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you sometimes listen to your mom? haha. I am so happy to see your pondering thingds like this and taking a high road. The truth is, God won't give us more than we can handle...that is a tremendous comfort when we wonder about the "WHY" and can get us through a lot. Whether it means He puts people in our Hgives huge doses of blessings along with the trials, HE gives us the ability to take things on as we give the hope that we can do it. What I have been asking myself lately is this: How can I help others through life's journey while handling my own problems? And guess wha? I think that in itself is the answer. When we change the focus to service and helping others, our problems seem to fade away or we notice them less. I think charity is the answer. I LOVE YOU! God gave me you when I was young and naive even though I probably wasn't ready to be a mother. He gave me you to bless my life in every way. He gave me you and I have spent 19 years trying to be better for you and your siblings. It is where I get my greatest joy from. Thanks for being so great! I think you happened for a reason!

    ReplyDelete