Thursday, April 5, 2012

Nifty Tricks

I will be sharing with you some of the secrets to my success. Many of my secrets have been passed down by family members, pinterest, or my own creative genius. Today we're talking about.....


Coconut oil!!
I love coconut oil. It is so useful, delicious, and nourishing. It can get expensive though, so buyer's beware. I'd like to share all the things I use coconut oil for.

For the body:
Hair - Coconut oil can be the hair's best friend. It protectively coats your hair, therefore preventing damage, and really helps your hair if it already has a lot of split ends. Coconut oil is a lifesaver for dry or damaged hair. You have to be careful not to use a lot, or put a ton in your roots though or you will end up looking like a grease ball. You want to focus on the ends of your hair when putting the oil in. I put coconut oil on the ends of my hair every night before I sleep so they can soak it up throughout the night.
I like to deeply condition my hair once a week with coconut oil. I rub it all over my head, (including roots) till I'm nice and greasy, and the I clip all the hair up and let it sit for at least half an hour while I do some homework or watch TV. Then it's shower time, and I wash my hair as normal. This leaves my hair looking shiny and feeling smooth!!
You can also use coconut oil for hair frizz, but be very cautious because like I said, the oil makes your hair greasy. If you need to, just rub a TINY bit between your palms and gently scrunch.

Body - You skin will love coconut oil. It will soak it up!!!! I use it as a lotion daily, but watch out because it makes you smell delicious. It will soften the rough dry skin and make you feel like a baby! Coconut oil will also sooth burns and irritated skin. (I suggest combining with some lavender essential oil)
Coconut oil works as a great make-up remover. Lightly wet your face and eyes, then rub the oil on your eyes and work it through your lashes. Then apply your favorite face wash and voila!!!! If you still have some left over make up, get a q-tip with some coconut oil on it and get around those eyes, it'll come right off.
Did you also know that coconut oil is supposed to help your eyelashes grow? Rub some on your eyelashes before you go to sleep. I also found that when I do this, my eyelashes cooperate a lot more the next morning when trying to curl them or put mascara on because they are soft.
Put coconut oil on your eyebrows a little while before you pluck them. They will come out easier.
Coconut oil is also a great massage oil.

Cooking - You can use coconut oil in place of any butter or oils that a recipe calls for. I love using it for pancakes and chocolate chip cookies. Keep in mind that whatever you are making will take on a slight coconutty taste, so use appropriately.

Look at all the uses I use everyday for coconut oil! It's so easy to keep around or take with me, especially when traveling because I use it all the time. It's so good for your body, and has so many benefits whether you apply it or eat it!! Anything else you use coconut oil for?? Love this stuff!!!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting this i have a jar i bought a while ago and now i know what todo with it your awesome

    ReplyDelete